Monday, September 2, 2013

Chapter 2 - More of the nicer side of Florida

After a great race in the Dade City/San Antonio area, it was with great anticipation (and a fixed bike) that we embarked on our second journey. We loaded up the RV with dogs, bikes food and ourselves and headed out on the trip. We made a quick stop at Starbucks on 136th Street off I595 on our way west and north. There is a Trek store next to it so I popped in to get some nutrition stuff when the guy behind the counter said "wow someone just hit that RV parked out front!". I turned around to see the people parked near us chasing them down. It turns out this lady didn't see it and backed right into it. Doh! The cop later said "you didn't see it? its the size of a building!" She fought all the way until she got the ticket. I am just glad she had insurance. With that drama over with (she just broke the fiberglass bumper and dented the body...) we continued on. We arrived at the GPS location for the race in the middle of orange groves in or near Auburndale/Lake Alfred. It was very spooky standing in an orange grove with no one around like that. The smell was unbelievable! Orange blossoms have a very sweet pungent orangy smell and it filled the air. When we woke I was able to open the RV window and pick an orange. Just wonderful surroundings! It was pretty cool out so I bundled up and walked the dogs. My race started pretty early and I met a few friends for the start. The course was pretty hilly and the start/finish was on a big hill with a headwind hammering straight at you as you climb. I was having a great race, probably spending too much time at the front pulling when I rotated back to the rear of the group. Up ahead I saw a big attack and was way to far back to respond. Our pace quickened and I saw one of the guys from Naples Cyclery that I raced along side of in the previous race trying to get back into the draft. He is a big guy with a lot of speed so I let him in and was glad I did! He pulled me up to the front of the group before the big hills started! As we approached the finish I positioned myself perfectly on the front. I could see the banners and people lining the finish ahead up the hill. I couldn't resist. I thought I could jump and hold everyone off so I went hard. I ran out of steam about 50 meters from the line and got passed like I was standing next to I95! I finished 11th. Next was my 1st Time Trial.
I had been looking forward to trying out my new TT bike (a Trek Speed Concept) and this was it! I had the pointy helmet and an aero jersey so I was prepared...still need a skin suit and disc wheel but that will come when I actually have something to spend! I lined up and got released. The experience of speed on a TT bike is awesome! The sound of the air going through my alien like helmet and the speed on my display was awesome! I caught a car and passed it like it was standing still! I also caught a few competitors as we are sent on 30 second intervals. I went a bit easy on the way out as I knew there was that ominous huge finish hill at the end (we are sent out, turn around and come back from the start/finish where on the road race we race in a big loop). I made my turn and came back. I really hit it n the hill and soon realized I should have gone faster on the way out as I still had some energy when I crossed the finish. I should have been puking and dying. Oh well I will try harder next time...but this effort was good enough for second! Excellent! I got more hardware!
The next day was a Criterium in downtown Winter Haven. We stayed at a Walmart parking lot as they allow RV's to stay (very handy) and arrived nice and early. Criteriums are always fast and dangerous but really intense and fun as they are in front of local businesses and usually held on downtown city streets. This one was no different with The Bean and Grape Cafe set right on one of the corners in front of the action! My race was pretty uneventful other than someone catching a pedal on the ground and spinning out in front of me. I finished 5th and got ready to head home. My sister Sandi texted me saying she was in town as well! What are the odds LOL! We went and visited my sister and her Boyfriend Jeff at a friend of theirs house in Winter Haven, 5 minutes away. The weekend was a success and I ws now leading the points championship. My next race is in Naples Florida, Where I lived for almost 10 years. Stay tuned! Evan

No comments: